- In his first act as a DNC Member, Michael worked with the CDP and had his email address added to the DNC Members' page on the CDP website – something that had never been done before – and encouraged the rest of California's DNC delegation to join him in this practice of transparency and accessibility
- An official national campaign whip for Keith Ellison for DNC Chair, Michael traveled the country on his own dime to talk to DNC Members about supporting Ellison for Chair
- Served as an official floor whip for Keith Ellison for Chair
- Livestreamed on the DNC floor while awaiting the results of the DNC Chair's election
- Appointed by Chair Tom Perez to the DNC's Transition Advisory Committee; Michael was the only Californian and one of four Young Democrats on the committee
- A month after Donald Trump's inauguration, Michael authored a resolution for the California Democratic Party calling for Trump's impeachment; California became the first State Party in the nation to call for Trump's impeachment
- Twice voted to ban corporate donations to the DNC
- Was possibly the only DNC Member to apologize for an unfair 2016 presidential primary process
- Appointed by Chair Tom Perez to the DNC Credentials Committee, the only California DNC Member who voted for Keith Ellison to receive a committee appointment
- Publicly criticized Chair Tom Perez for endorsing in the New York Governor's race
- Was the second DNC Member in the nation to call for superdelegate reform by barring superdelegates from voting on the first ballot at the National Convention
- One of the national leaders who convinced Chair Tom Perez to support barring superdelegates from voting on the first ballot
- Co-authored a California Democratic Party resolution, along with activists from the CDP Progressive Caucus, to call upon our DNC delegation to support superdelegate reform; successfully advocated for this resolution before the full CDP Executive Board
- Helped lead national organizing effort in overwhelmingly successful effort to pass superdelegate reform
- Unanimously elected as DNC Youth Council Chair, one of a minority of DNC Council/Caucus chairs who did not vote for Tom Perez for Chair
- Hosted a free “Coffee with a DNC Member” at the July 2018 CDP Executive Board meeting to enable CDP activists to ask questions about the DNC
- One of several DNC Members who organized in favor of a presidential primary debate dedicated to climate
- Spoke out on the floor of the DNC in favor of a climate debate, and called for a DNC that is top-down instead of bottom-up
- To ensure transparency, immediately uploaded pictures to social media of every written vote he's taken at the DNC
- Released voter rolls detailing how every DNC Member voted on every written ballot, including DNC Chair and other officer positions, superdelegate reform, and a climate change debate
2020 National Convention
As Chair of the DNC Youth Council, Michael organized and ran two virtual meetings of the Council during the 2020 Democratic National Convention. As a result of him opening the first meeting by inviting participants to "rise or kneel, if you are able, per your preference" to show solidarity with Black Lives Matter and end racial injustice while also recognizing disAbility, Michael was attacked online by conservatives, on Fox News by Tucker Carlson, and was even featured in a Donald Trump campaign ad. Michael used their hate to raise money for Colin Kaepernick's Foundation, and a liberal reporter highlighted Michael's support for Black Lives Matter.
The first meeting of the DNC Youth Council at the 2020 Democratic National Convention, aired virtually and anchored in Milwaukee, WI, was held on August 17, 2020. Watch it here.
In order of appearance, speakers and panels include: DNC Youth Council Chair Michael Kapp; Congresswoman Deb Haaland; Kids from Wisconsin; Black Leaders in Government Panel (DNC Midwestern States Caucus Chair Ron Harris, Rep. London Lamar, Rep. Malcolm Kenyatta, Reggie Love); Chloe Grace Moretz; Congressman Ted Lieu; Stacey Abrams; Young Americans for Biden (Hannah Bristol and Lubna Sebastian); Climate Change Panel (CA DNC Member RL Miller, Ashley Nicole McCray, Hieu Le, Kaylah Brathwaite); MN Attorney General Keith Ellison; and Ashley and Finnegan Biden.
The second meeting of the DNC Youth Council was held on August 18, 2020. Watch it here.
In order of appearance, speakers and panels include: DNC Youth Council Chair Michael Kapp; Micasslyn Crawford; Young Democrats of America President Joshua Harris-Till; DACA and the Future of Immigration Panel (DNC Youth Council Staffer Kevin Lima, Assemblywoman Wendy Carrillo, AZ DNC Member Ellie Perez, Jessica Itzayana Vazquez Mesta); Senator Bernie Sanders; Melissa Byrne; Andrew Yang; Congressman Beto O'Rourke (ret.); DNC/DNCC Secretary Jason Rae; Democratic Party Pipeline (DNC Youth Council Vice Chair Kat Hoang, YDA President Joshua Harris-Till, Interim CDA President Matthew Nowling, HSDA Chair Charlotte Kerpen); and Mayor Pete Buttigieg.
Do you like this page?